GolfCartTips is a participant in affiliate services from Amazon and other affiliate programs. If you buy something through our links, as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Check our legal information for more details.
Your golf cart is your favorite mode of transportation around the neighborhoods and golf courses, and colder weather shouldn’t dampen your enthusiasm for getting out and about. It is, after all, a great antidote for cabin fever. The addition of a portable heater is an easy and inexpensive way to keep the cold at bay and the good times rolling.
Which is the best heater to meet your golf cart needs? The Mr. Heater MH4GC is My Top Pick. Since heaters are available in either propane or electric models, I will begin with the comparisons between the two types of heaters first.
Read the differences between the variety of golf cart heaters available and choose the best heater for your golf cart.
Propane Heater Or Electric Heater- Which Is Best For You?
Running down the list of pros and cons, you can get a pretty good idea of which type heater is right for your golf cart.
Propane Heater Pros
- More efficient at heating
- Can be moved from golf cart to golf cart, rented or personally owned
- Least expensive
Propane Heater Cons
- Inexpensive heater models lack wind protection and have to be re-lit often
- They require adequate ventilation
- Cost of propane heater is an ongoing expense
- No heater temperature control..they are either on or off
- Some risk with an open flame in a moving golf cart
Electric Heater Pros
- No extra expense for fuel – runs off your golf cart batteries
- No open flame to be extinguished by wind
- No fumes
- Usually includes a variable temperature control
- Safe to use – no open flame
Electric Heater Cons
- A more expensive up-front cost
- In some models, requires permanent mounting
- Most efficient on newer golf carts
- Doesn’t work well with gas-powered golf carts
Let’s look at some of the style and models of the best Golf Cart Heaters available and go over the pros and cons of each.
Mr. Heater 4,000 BTU MH4GC Golf Cart Heater & Refill Adapter
by Mr. Heater
- Bundle includes Mr. Heater Golf Cart Heater and High-Quality Brass Propane Tank Refill Adapter which helps you save money on propane cylinders by enabling you to fill 1-lb. propane cylinders from bulk 20-lb. propane tanks (propane tank not included)
- The Mr. Heater Golf Cart Heater is the only golf cart heater that has an oxygen depletion system, tip-over safety switch, wind-resistant screen, and pilot screen, ergonomic carrying handle and is built to withstand rugged terrain
- This heater connects to a one-pound propane cylinder and operates at 4,000 BTUs for up to five and a half hours on one tank
- Cup holder adapter fits most golf carts and locks in place
- Certified for Outdoor Use ONLY
Mr. Heater safely delivers 4,000 BTU’s, enough to keep you warm on the coldest days. The heater connects directly to a 1 lb LP cylinder and fits cupholders and locks into place on most golf carts. The unit is easy to operate…just push and hold the ignition swi9tch and the striking mechanism will kick in to finish the task. Mr. Heater is the only golf cart heater with both a built-in oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) and a safety tip-over switch to ensure safe operation all day long, even traversing bumpy cart paths. Heat reflection is not as good as the previously reviewed units but is by far the safest unit for using in an enclosed cabin. Each propane charge is good for 5-5 1/2 hours and the included adapter allows refilling from a larger 20 lb. tank. The unit DOES have good wind resistance and stays lit in breezy conditions and when the cart is moving.o.
Pros for this unit
- This is a very efficient heater and warms the interior cabin rapidly.
- Easy to Use and resists breezes extinguishing the flame.
- Push-button On/Off
Cons for this unit
- The cupholder is not always universal. It sometimes requires wrapping the bottle to prevent wobble.
- It is either on or it is off, this means no auto temperature of any kind.
Stansport Deluxe Golf/Marine Infrared Propane Heater
Portable golf/marine outdoor propane Infrared radiant heater operates on 8 hours on a 16.4 oz. Disposable propane cylinder and supplies 3,500 btu’s of heat. The heater has a whisper quiet operation and a matchless electronic ignition with a durable heat reflector. Designed to handle a golf cart’s bumpy ride. Fits in a golf cart’s cup holder with included adapter and can also be used on a tabletop (stand included).
This unit is moderately priced and performs well, however, the electronic ignition has been reported to fail quite often, requiring the use of matches or a lighter to get the unit restarted. The heater element is rather high from the tank making it top-heavy, so if you don’t have a good fit in the cup holder, it could end up on the floorboard. This model heats an enclosed cart well but lacks a windscreen and errant breezes caused by entering and exiting the vehicle often extinguish the flame and it needs to be relit.
This unit is efficient in fuel consumption and has one of the longest life-spans on each propane bottle, but puts out a maximum of 3,500 BTU’s.
Pros for this unit
- Good Medium Scale Price.
- 3500 BTU’s (good for chilly weather).
- Long propane bottle life.
Cons for this unit
- Top Heavy – may require additional support
- Reported ignitor issues
- Not breeze resistant
Parts Direct Portable Golf Cart Propane Heater With Cup Holder
This unit is well priced and performs well, and has excellent heat projection. It is sometimes difficult to get it lit using the built-in spark trigger but puts out the heat you want when it counts. The manufacturer claims 7 hours operation but is usually 5-6 hours. This unit is well suited to very cold environments and reflects the heat well.
Climate Caddy in Cup
By TSI Products, INC
Extend your season with the Climate Caddy Golf Cart Heater.
This innovative heater and fan unit is designed for 48-volt electric golf carts. Thanks to patent-pending technology, it offers maximum climate control without draining the battery on your cart. The small, lightweight design fits right in the cup holder of your car
Climate Caddy Golf Cart Heater features:
- Patent Pending 48 Volt PTC heaters produce 100A+ warm air so cold weather doesn’t slow you down
- The unit also includes a fan to help keep you cool in warm weather
- Silent Whisper Fan moves air without creating a distraction
- Bi-level vent system points the air right where you need it
- The unit simply slips into the cup holder and connects to the battery with alligator clips
- Battery Fail-Safe Sensor ensures the fan will not drain your cart battery
- Made of durable, high impact and UV-resistant plastic with weatherproof protection
- 4.2″ x 10.87″ x 11.7″ design fits into any cup holder
- Power Consumption: 63 to 655 Watts
- 1.1 pound design is easy to transport with included carrying case
- 2 year limited warranty
Dual-purpose unit – heat in the Wintertime, fan in the Summer. Easy to set up and easy to install. This heater has an electric eye that turns it off when you exit the vehicle. This is another portable/permanent unit that requires 48-volts to operate. It was a 2017 PGA Merchandise Show Choice Award winner and is a top-notch performer for its size.
This is my favorite electric heater and while it doesn’t go with my gas-powered Club Car, it DOES do well with my 48-volt E-Z-Go RXV.
Heater Craft G200x Golf Cart Heater
By Heater Craft
Small and mighty! The Electric Golf Cart Heater by Heater Craft is perfect for those chilly mornings and crisp fall days. The compact electric golf cart heater system provides instantaneous heat. Get the heat you need to keep you out playing longer.
- Ideal for use on the golf course or in the field
- Doesn’t drain your cart’s batteries
- And you won’t lose access to your cup holder like you would with other brands
Compact and lightweight delivers up to 4,500 BTU/h. Available with flush mount faceplate or under the dash, universal mounting bracket. Ready for customer install. Note that this is a 48-volt heater and is not portable. You must do some drilling and wiring to set this unit up.
This will not work on a gas golf cart…and it will not adapt to older 36-volt electric carts. It must be a 48-volt cart. That being said, this unit performs well and only uses 10 amps. The immediate benefit is that there is a one time purchase and no propane bottles to keep buying. The dimensions are 5 3/4″L x 4 1/2″W x 4″H and the manufacturer provides a 4-year warranty.
Golf Cart 12 Volt Electric Heater
By Parts Direct
While easy to install, this unit draws 25 amps of power and should not be considered for extremely cold environments. This was built as a supplemental heater for (as the text printed on the front of the case implies) the back seat where some car heaters can’t reach.
Many users have complained that the heater did not function after a few uses or it melted fuses…I would not recommend this for a golf cart.
12 volt D.C. Electric heater. It can easily be a dash, floor or firewall mounted unit. Front or Rear seating areas. 1,100 BTU’s Only draws 25 amps for extended use.
- The Therm Tech Back Seat Heat Plus 3000C unit does not plug into the cigarette lighter…it is a direct Hook-Up.
- This product is designed to be a supplemental heater in a vehicle that already has heat, but has some cold spots. The air output will be 20 to 30 degrees F warmer than the air input.
- Made In The USA
- 2 Year Manufacturer’s Warranty
- Output – over 1100 BTU’s. Note: This heater draws 300 watts. The average home hair dryer draws 1000 watts. This is a good comparison to consider when thinking of purchasing this heater.
- Input – 12 Volts, 25 Amps maximum draw (300 watts) If your vehicle’s alternator does not produce at least 45-50 amps there may not be enough power to operate this heater
- Fan Rating – 102 Cubic Feet per Minute
- Provides heat or air circulation from your vehicle’s battery
- Treated Blower Surface – Case and Blower window stay cool to the touch.
- Adjustable Thermostat
- Connects with included 20-foot Wiring Harness – Heavy gauge wire with in-line 30 Amp spade type automotive fuse included.
- There is a quick disconnect at the heating unit
- Optional Dash Switch included.
- Mounting Bracket Included
- Impact Resistant Case
- Dimensions (looking at the front) – 5.25 wide x 7.75 deep x 8.25 high
Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Propane Radiant Heater
By Mr. Heater
Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Features:
- Two heat settings: 4,000 & 9,000 BTU/HR
- Fold-down handle reduces storage space
- Four-position control with built-in Piezo igniter off and lo/hi heat settings
- High-temperature wire guard
- Swivel regulator for easy LP cylinder and hose installation
- Large durable porcelain coated heating surface directs radiant heat over a wider area
- Low-oxygen safety shut-off (ODS) and tip-over safety shut-off
- Ceramic burner tile mounted with shock absorbing insulation for durability and easy replacement
- Made of Steel, Plastic, Nickel
- 4,000- to 9,000-BTU radiant heater for spaces up to 225 square feet. Approved for indoor/outdoor use; clean-burning; nearly 100-percent efficient
- When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.
- Auto shut-off if tipped over, if the pilot light goes out, or if detects low oxygen levels. Fuel Consumption/Burn Rate (Gal/Hr) at 4000 BTU = 0.044 Gal/Hr, at 9000 BTU = 0.099 Gal/Hr
- Fold-down handle; swivel-out regulator; connects to propane tank (not included); Run Time (Hrs at Max BTU): 3 Hours
- THE USE OF UN-AUTHORIZED ACCESSORIES/ATTACHMENTS WITH THIS HEATER ARE EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED, MAY CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY, AND WILL VOID THE WARRANTY.
With a larger heating surface, fold-down handle, swivel-out fuel connection, and an easy-start four-position control, Mr. Heater sets the new standard for portable radiant heating comfort. With its low-oxygen shut-off and tip-over safety shut-off systems, this heater provides safe, reliable heat anytime, anywhere.
How Much Heater Do You Need?
You can calculate the amount of BTUs required by using the following method: Measure the space’s dimension to determine cubic feet. (Length x Width x Height = Cubic Feet). Subtract the outside temperature from the desired inside temp to determine the temperature increase. If you have measured temperature in Fahrenheit, calculate the required BTUs with this formula: (Cubic Feet x Temperature Increase x .133 = Required BTUs) If you have measured temperature in Celsius, calculate the required BTUs with this formula: (Cubic Feet x Temperature Increase x .2394 = Required BTUs).
DC THERMAL SA12-4000 12 VOLT 480 WATT 8016 BTU BRUSHLESS CAB HEATER
By DC Thermal
DC Thermals Stealth heaters produce no odor or fumes. Case construction: T5052 Aluminum. Thermally protected. Ideal for a golf cart heater, industrial equipment, ATV’s and fork trucks. Wired with GXL wire. Heaters come with a High / Low / Off switch. Hand-built in the USA. Designed to last a lifetime. It comes with mounting hardware, mounting bracket, fuse, fuse holder, electrical connector ends, and detailed instructions. 2 YEAR WARRANTY.
RoadPro RPSL-681 12V Direct Hook-Up Ceramic Heater/Fan w/Swivel Base
Direct hook up to your golf cart battery. Switch from heat to cool settings. 15 Amp rating – Includes all installation hardware – 12 Gauge 14-Foot power cord. Measures 7″ W X 4-1/2″ D X 5-1/2″ H
When purchasing a heater for your golf cart, take into consideration whether you are using an enclosure or not. The temperature inside the cabin with an enclosure in use is, in most cases, around 20 degrees warmer than without. Also note that when using an enclosure with a propane heater, you will need proper venting. This will involve leaving one of the golf cart enclosure flaps slightly open if you don’t have built-in fresh air vents.
Always check the specifications for the electric heaters, as some of these will not adapt to certain electrical systems, i.e. 48-volt in a 36-volt or gas-powered cart.
Heater manufacturers often have accessories available for their products, so always refer back to the home page, if available, and see if there are any add-ons to improve your current setup.