Last Updated on August 6, 2023 by Chuck Wilson
Golf carts, a popular mode of transportation on golf courses and in many communities, often come equipped with some type of windshields to protect riders from the elements. But have you ever wondered “what are golf cart windshields made of”? The answer might be more varied than you think. Windshields of golf carts, including those from E-Z-GO, Club Car, and Yamaha, can be constructed from a variety of materials, each offering its unique characteristics and advantages.
1. Acrylic Windshields
Acrylic is one of the primary materials used in the production of golf cart windshields. Here’s what you need to know about it:
- Material Overview: Acrylic is a robust plastic known for its versatility.
- Cost-Effectiveness: One of the main reasons for its popularity is its cost-effectiveness. It offers a basic yet efficient solution for those looking for an affordable windshield option.
- Appearance and Clarity: Acrylic windshields are available in both clear and tinted versions. Regardless of the choice, one can expect excellent clarity, ensuring unobstructed views while driving.
2. Polycarbonate Windshields
Another popular material in the golf cart windshield industry is polycarbonate. Here are its standout features:
- Durability: Polycarbonate is renowned for its extreme durability. It’s particularly resistant to nicks and scratches, ensuring a longer lifespan and less frequent replacements.
- Legality and Safety: An added advantage of polycarbonate windshields is that they are street legal and have received DOT approval. This makes them a safe and shatter proof choice for those using their golf carts beyond the greens.
- Visibility and Installation: Golf cart owners can expect clear visibility from polycarbonate windshields. Additionally, they are straightforward to install, making them a favorite among many.
3. A Blend of Acrylic and Polycarbonate
In some cases, manufacturers opt for a blend of both acrylic and polycarbonate when producing golf cart windshields. This combination aims to harness the benefits of both materials:
- Dual Benefits: By combining acrylic and polycarbonate, manufacturers can offer windshields that boast both excellent clarity (a feature of acrylic) and enhanced durability (a characteristic of polycarbonate).
Replacements Windshields Are Easy To Find
Replacement windshields are relatively easy to find due to the high demand. Windshield damage is common and can be caused by anything from road debris to weather conditions. Therefore, most car repair shops, and even some specialized auto-glass shops, carry a wide selection of replacement windshields for various car makes and models.
You can also find replacement windshields at Amazon. Here are some examples:
The choice of material for a golf cart windshield isn’t arbitrary. It depends on various factors, including cost, durability, and visibility. Whether you’re a golf cart owner looking to replace your windshield or simply curious, understanding the materials and their benefits can guide you in making an informed decision.
Why is clarity important for a golf cart windshield?
Clarity ensures that drivers have an unobstructed view of their surroundings, which is crucial for safety, especially when navigating through golf courses or communities.
Are tinted windshields better than clear ones?
The choice between tinted and clear windshields depends on personal preference and usage. Tinted windshields can reduce glare and offer UV protection, while clear ones provide unaltered visibility.
How often should I replace my golf cart windshield?
The frequency of replacement depends on the material and usage. Polycarbonate windshields, known for their durability, might require less frequent replacements than acrylic ones. However, if a windshield shows signs of wear, scratches, or cracks, it’s advisable to replace it.
Are there any legal requirements for golf cart windshields?
Polycarbonate windshields are street legal and DOT approved. If you plan to use your golf cart beyond golf courses, especially on public roads, it’s essential to ensure your windshield meets legal standards.
Can I install a golf cart windshield myself?
Many golf cart windshields, especially those made of polycarbonate, are easy to install. However, if you’re unsure, it’s always best to consult with a professional or the manufacturer.
What’s the primary difference between acrylic and polycarbonate windshields?
Acrylic is a cost-effective, strong plastic with excellent clarity. In contrast, polycarbonate is extremely durable, resistant to nicks and scratches, and is street legal. The choice between the two often boils down to budget, preference, and intended use.
Is a mixture of acrylic and polycarbonate better than using just one material?
A blend of both materials aims to offer the benefits of each. This combination can provide both clarity (from acrylic) and durability (from polycarbonate). However, “better” is subjective and depends on individual needs and preferences.
We hope this FAQ section addresses any questions you might have about golf cart windshields. If you have further queries, always consult with a golf cart professional or manufacturer.